Chartered in 1897, UFCW Local 88 is the country’s oldest UFCW Local still in operation. The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW) is a labor union made up of 1.3 million hard-working men and women in the U.S. and Canada. They are a 501(c)(5) nonprofit organization that believes in the power of ordinary people coming together to improve their lives and make a lasting difference for all working people.
Our members are your friends and neighbors. They work in grocery and retail stores, pharmacies, health care, manufacturing facilities, cannabis retail and in food processing and meat packing industries. Our members are on the front lines working hard to feed, serve, and strengthen the neighborhoods and communities we call home.
We believe hard work should be rewarded with a better life, and that no one should have to struggle alone. We do this by:
- Winning strong contracts for our members that put improvements in wages and working conditions in writing— no more wondering whether employers will honor their promises. Asin non-union shops
- Representing individual members in talks with management when problems arise.
- Providing a safe, confidential way for workers to get answers about their rights on the job without worrying about retaliation or making things awkward with their boss or coworkers.
- Reaffirming for workers that they are worthy and deserve to be treated with respect and dignity.
- Supporting political legislation that protects workers’ interests.
UFCW Local 88 is proud to represent all members on both sides of the river in the Saint Louis and surrounding areas. Built on years of strong solidarity and hard work, UFCW Local 88 has achieved multiple benefits and life improving opportunities for all members. Such as:
- better wages and benefits than non-union workers. On average, union workers as whole earn over $190 more per week compared to their nonunion counterparts.
- Are more likely to have jobs that provide health insurance, paid vacation, holidays and sick leave, scheduling overtime protection and other benefits.
- Have more rights that protect them on the job than nonunion workers’ contracts establish standards to help eliminate the gender wage gap and combat discrimination regardless of gender, age, race, creed, color, country of origin, status of citizenship, language spoken, pregnancy status, family status, sexual orientation or gender identity.
UFCW Local 88 does not work for the companies. We work for YOU and every single member that is a part of this great family. We take great pride in doing our absolute best to provide EVERY member with not only a better way of life but also a safe and equitable work environment…. We are here for YOU!!!!